Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Chobham Academy is a state comprehensive school which welcomes children of all backgrounds and abilities.
Chobham consists of a nursery with 52 equivalent full-time admissions; a primary phase of 630 students; Years 7-11 made up of 900 students a sixth form of 300 students.
Our annual admissions number of Reception is 90 children, for Year 7 210 children and for Year 12 150 students.
Year 7 admissions will be made up of 90 children moving up from the Chobham primary phase together with 120 external admissions. External Year 7 places are allocated on the basis of a banding system to ensure that a fair distribution of children of all academic abilities are admitted to the Academy each year. All external applicants for a Year 7 place at Chobham are invited to undertake a standardised reasoning test in the autumn term prior to admission. On the basis of these tests, applicants are then placed into ability bands. A proportion of children from each band are then offered a place at Chobham in line with the criteria set out in the Academy’s Admissions Policy (see below).
Academy Admissions Contact Details
Telephone: 0203 747 6060
Address: Chobham Academy, 40 Cheering Lane, Stratford, London E20 1BD
In-Year Admissions for entry from September
If you wish to apply for an in-year admission (that is entry to any year group at any stage in the school year, other than to Reception, Year 7 or the Sixth form in September 2020) Chobham Academy is part of London Borough of Newham's Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme which means that all applications including in year (casual admissions) are to be made via London Borough of Newham website which you can access below.
If you are new to the area, you are advised to complete an in-year application form from Newham Admissions Team to ensure that you get offered a place at another school if Chobham Academy is not able to offer your child a place. The 2019/20 admissions arrangements which include treatment of in year admissions can be found at the footer of this page.
Email email@example.com or ring 020 8430 2000 when you have moved in to allow Newham to update their records.
Admission for entry from September 2019 (2019/20 current academic year)
- Determined Admission Arrangements for 2019 entry
- LB Newham Primary School Admissions web pages
- LB Newham Secondary School Admissions web pages
- London Borough of Newham in-year application form
Year 7 Applications
The Academy has an admission number of 120 in Year 7. The full age group is 210 but 90 pupils are already present in Year 6 and transition automatically into Year 7.
For admission into Year 7 in September 2020, parents and carers are required to complete an application form (known as the “Common Application Form” CAF) which will be sent to them by their current Primary Schools. No applications are to be made directly to the Academy.
Parents are strongly advised to read carefully the full Academy Admissions Policy 2020-2021 (see at the bottom of the page) and information and advice from the local authority. The main points to remember are:
- You must submit an application form to your Local Education Authority if applying on line by 31st October 2019
- Think carefully about the order in which you place your chosen schools on the form. You should enter your most preferred school first on the list
- You will be invited to a testing day on Friday 13th December, this is a non-verbal reasoning test and ensures places are offered to all bands of ability
- Be sure to include at least 3 different schools on your preference form
On 2nd March 2020, the local authority will notify you of the school where your child has been offered a place.
If you are unhappy that you did not receive an offer of a school place at Chobham Academy, you have the right to lodge an independent appeal with us. You have until Monday 30th March to submit an appeal form. All appeals will be held between the end of April – June 2020.
- 21 October 2019 - deadline for paper applications to be received by Pupil Services (this is the date the form must be received by Pupil Services not the date posted). This only applies where the applicant is applying direct not where they have delivered to their primary school.
- 31 October 2019 - national closing day and deadline for applying on-line (11.59pm)
We are pleased to announce that our Year 6 Open Evening will be held on Wednesday 2nd October 2019 from 4.30pm – 7.30pm. Booking is NOT required for the opening evening.
Parent(s) wishing to appeal against the Academy’s decision on admissions, for any year group, should complete an Appeal Form (see below) stating the reason for the appeal, based on the published Admissions Criteria.
Completed forms should be sent to the Clerk to Governors at Chobham Academy, 40 Cheering Lane, Stratford, London, E20 1BD.
Completed appeal forms for Year 7 appeal forms must be received by The Academy by Monday 30th March 2020.
The appeals will be heard, in private, by an Independent appeal Panel. The Clerk to the Appeal Panel will make an appointment within a reasonable time, Appeals may be made in English or the Parents’/Carers’ first language.
- Only one appeal per application is allowed.
- Appeals are conducted in person, and you may bring a friend.
The Appeal Hearing
The Independent Appeals Panel will then consider the Academy's reasons for refusal and your reasons for wanting to attend the Academy.
The Panel will consist of 3 people (2 will have education experience and one will be an independent person with no education experience).
The Panel will consider the case put forward by you and the Academy. They must consider the admission arrangements for the Academy and the reasons why you want to attend that particular school. The Panel must exercise its discretion by balancing the weight of your argument (for wanting to attend) against the Academy’s reasons for refusal i.e. the prejudice that one more student would cause to the education of the students already offered and the Health and Safety of all the students already attending the Academy, also taking into account the Academy's published admission arrangements.
The decision of the Independent Appeals Panel is binding on the admissions authority and the Parents.
Useful likes for all schools admissions
- LB Newham School Fact Finder http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Schools-Directory.aspx
- Ace Education – Independent Advice for Parents and Carers http://www.ace-ed.org.uk